Monday 28 May 2012

Class #8 Reflection Add-On


In last week’s class, we discussed the UDL framework.  The more I research UDL, the more I like it.  One website states that UDL is “a framework that enables all learners to gain knowledge, skills, and enthusiasm for learning”.  (Taken from the NCLD website: http://www.ncld.org/at-school/especially-for-teachers/universal-design-for-learning
Each student is unique and each learns differently.  While listening to this discussion, and then upon further research, I’ve come to think that the UDL framework allows teachers to look at each individual as one person and therefore each student needs to be educated on an individual basis.  Essentially, it seems to me, it’s like creating an individualized plan for every student.  And really, that’s how I believe we need to teach.  As a teacher, I look at every student in my class on an individual basis and say to myself- what do I need to do to take them where they need to go, challenge them and help them achieve success?  Hopefully, all teachers take this approach but I do know that this is not always done and some children fall through the cracks.  That is disheartening. 
I also found a great visual on the UDL framework: 





We also talked about the Writing Task Analysis.  When you look at the chart, it is overwhelming and huge… think about what it must seem like to our struggling writers!  There is so much to the writing (and reading) process and when a student is challenged with even one piece of the process, they struggle. It’s like missing one piece of a puzzle and you cannot complete it.  
One of the ideas that I have incorporated in my class this year is creating an Idea Book.  Students keep this book in their desk and can jot ideas down in this book for a time when they need help with a story idea.  (My rule in my class every year is that we write every day and it can be on a topic of their choice.  I have found that by allowing them to write on a topic of their choice, they rarely struggle with what to write and write for longer periods of time.)  Once in a while, we will add a page on a topic, such as a field trip, or a unit in science, or a holiday and we brainstorm words and ideas for this idea book.  The other thing that I have used for years is a Word Book.  I start the year by giving them all a blank hard covered note pad (I give them several choices and then they pick the one they want).  They allow 2 pages per letter of the alphabet (because I teach Grade 1, this can take some time to start at the first of the year). Then when writing, they can come to me with their book and I write the word that they do not know how to spell.  My rule is that they have to sound the first letter out and come to me with their book open to that page.  I have found that this Word Book helps struggling writers because they have that confidence that their word book contains words meaningful to them.  Several years ago, I had a student in a higher grade who refused to write at the first of the year.  I gave him a word book and we filled his book (over the course of the week) with words that meant something to him.  After we did this, after finishing our writing mini-lesson, he would take out his word book, give it a little pat, and then start writing.  It was wonderful to see!












No comments:

Post a Comment