Sunday 29 April 2012

Class #4 Reflection


During our class this week, I was struck by a couple of things.  I noticed with all of the groups presenting, everyone was so excited about the apps that they learned about in their webinars, as well as the new apps that they discovered.  As well, those listening to the presentations were equally excited by the apps and AT presented.   It seemed to me that we all wanted to try the new discoveries and share what we all learned.  I know for myself, I was madly writing app names down during the presentations and then the next day, I showed many of them to my principal and learning centre teacher.
One of the things that I really liked is the iGuy.  I am rather ashamed to admit that I am so a sucker for things that are different.  iGuy is one of those things that I think that I will definitely be purchasing.  I love the fact that it looks like a little robot, or as one person said the other night, Gumby.  While I love it because it’s funky, I can see why it’s so appealing as its great for kids to hold onto.  When I see young students handling an iPad, I slightly cringe inside because I know how easily it can fall out of their hands.  The iGuy is great for holding and protecting the expensive iPad as well. 
The video clip from one group which showed how AT is helping to unlock the minds of students with autism was very powerful.  The one non-verbal student who teachers thought had very limited understanding and capability shocked everyone when he took a vocabulary test and scored way over what anyone thought he would.  After watching this video, I thought quite a bit about it and how amazing it now is that so many students like this boy can now communicate and learn using AT.  At the same time, it bothered me to think about all of the students who have come before him who didn’t have this technology when they were in school.  It reminded me of the students when I was going through school who were pegged as ‘trouble’ because they couldn’t sit still.  They were often in the office and were labeled as behavior children.  Looking back now, many of these ‘trouble’ students likely were ADHD or had a learning disability.  So, I couldn’t help but wonder about non-verbal and autistic students in the past and the supports that they had and didn’t have when they were in school.
I enjoyed listening to the results from everyone’s surveys.  It was very interesting how some of us were shocked about the lack of AT in their schools, OR, how some teachers have the opportunity to access AT at their schools, but do not take advantage of it.  While technology does somewhat hold a mystery, as I said in my first post, I am not letting this hold me back and I am learning so much that I can use and share with my students.

I found this YouTube video called iPad Helps the Autistic Speak which I thought tied in very nicely with the Autism apps presentation: http://youtu.be/fWli1-84CNQ





No comments:

Post a Comment