Sunday 3 June 2012

Nicole’s Pick: Math Academy


Math Academy

iPhone Screenshot 1

This app is designed to support students in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.   The user can choose the operation and is given the option of choosing the level’s difficulty-easy, medium or hard.  As well, the user is given a neat choice as to what type of game to play- Time Trial (where you are given 30 seconds to answer as many questions as possible) or Endurance (where you keep going until you make an error).  I like this option as it mixes it up for the user.  Once the student is comfortable with a difficulty level and using the Time Trial option, they can change the difficulty of the game by trying the Endurance option.
As the user plays the game, points are collected and after so many points, the user can choose stickers as a reward.  The sound effects are fun and the graphics are good as well. 
I thought that this was a great game.  I introduced it to my class during mental math and they love it and often play it as teams during free choice.  The fact that is a free app was why I chose it to download it but now it is one of my favorites.  I read a couple of reviews on the app first and one user said that there were a lot of ads that pop up but I didn’t find that this was the case.  It certainly has never interfered with any of us playing the game.  I highly recommend this app!

1 comment:

  1. This looks to be a great application for math! For elementary students and for students in Junior High on IPPs. I especially like the timer.

    ReplyDelete