Saturday 9 June 2012

Nicole’s Pick: Lorax HD



iPad Screenshot 1

















Ok, so you may be wondering why I chose this app to review as my last app as it appears to be a game app and doesn’t seem to have too much of an educational theme to it.   Lorax HD is a free game app; the user has to help Pip get the marshmallow by getting it to the ground for him.  The marshmallow is on top of pieces of wood, and objects such as rocks, ice, sponges, and more wood are obstacles in the way of the marshmallow getting to the ground.  The user has to problem-solve by determining which objects need to be broken first in order for the marshmallow to hit the ground for Pip.  The level is cleared only when the marshmallow successfully hits the ground and (in some levels) does not roll away.
The graphics in this app are incredible; the Lorax and Pip the Bar-ba-loot look exactly like the characters in the movie.  The Truffula trees and the objects are vivid and bright and the music is of wonderful quality.  I especially love the cranky looks both the Lorax and Pip give the user when the level isn’t successfully completed.  There are 40 levels in total.  When the level is completed, the user can get one to three marshmallows, depending on the user’s score.  So, the user can go back to any completed level and try to score higher. 
Why I chose to review this app is that it is an amazing app for anyone (young or young at heart) to practice problem-solving.  One of my students had told me a couple of months ago to download this app, which I did and my students and I have been playing it since then.  I will sometimes attach it to my LCD projector and let the class problem-solve the levels as a group.  We did this the other day and it will be one of my most cherished memories of my class this year.  The students were sitting on the floor, leaning against desks and a couple of my taller students were sitting on some desks and they were all trying to solve this one particularly challenging level.  They were talking through the steps, some had their heads tilted trying to determine if the steps were in logical sequence and then they would attempt the steps in that order.  It took several attempts but when they solved the level, there was such a feeling of accomplishment in the room.  Everyone was cheering and clapping each other on the back.  As the teacher, it was so wonderful to sit back and watch my class work together and cheer each other on.  This is most definitely an app to download and let students of all ages use to sharpen their problem-solving skills!  Enjoy! J

No comments:

Post a Comment