Sunday 6 May 2012

Class #5 Reflection


This week we had 2  very well done class presentations on webinars.  The first presentation was on Social Skills and Autism.  As soon as I saw this presentation, I was very excited.  Several years ago, I attended a 2 day workshop on the Hidden Curriculum.  The speaker said at one point that social niceties and protocol fall on society like raindrops; it seems to be something that most of us intrinsically know.  For those people with autism, it’s like they are standing under an umbrella.  I thought this was an amazing analogy and it has stuck with me since I heard it.  It is up to us as educators to teach these social skills because as students with autism get older and do not understand what is and isn’t acceptable behaviors in public, they stand more on the fringe of society.  I bought the book from the conference that I attended called the Hidden Workshop and have used it myself over the years and have also shared it, for students with autism.  I found it a great conversation tool with my class as a whole, using it during my Health lessons.  When I heard that there is an app for the Hidden Curriculum, I was really excited because I found the book to be an excellent resource for any teacher.  I checked it out in the App store and discovered that there is an app for kids, as well as an app for teens and adolescents.  I’m including the links- definitely worth checking out!
The Hidden Curriculum for Kids app:

I also found this website during my searches:  http://a4cwsn.com/.  It’s a website that previews apps for students with special needs.  There are some that we have discussed in our classes, but there are also a lot of new ones.  What I really liked is that they preview several for teens.  I’ll be honest- as I’m an early elementary school teacher, I have looked at and thought mostly about apps for this age group.  It wasn’t until Wanda mentioned about apps for teens that I realized we’ve primarily looked at apps for earlier learners.  This website seems to have many apps for older students.
During the surveys presented from both groups, I was really shocked as to the lack of training and technology that many schools have.  I was floored that in the last group, a combined 88% of staff indicated that they had little to no training on technology.  As well, one teacher stated that there were no laptops at her school, which blew me away.  After listening to these survey results, I thought about my own situation and how fortunate my staff and I are to be in such a technology-rich school.  Every classroom has at least 5 computers, one document camera, and an LCD projector mounted.  Our school has close to 20 laptops available for all teachers to access.  There is an iResponse kit in the office, as well as a class set of voice recorders.  There are 2 smartboards and 3 mimeos and as a staff, we are all willing to share this technology.  There are 5 iPads in the school and again, as a staff, we share when someone would like to use one.  As a group, we are always sharing something that we have discovered and think that someone else may be able to use.  As a school, we are creating a folder on our shared drive of apps that all of our staff can access.  During our weekly PLC meetings, we are now sharing ‘apps of interest’.  After listening to my colleagues talk about their schools, I was reminded of how lucky I am and what a wonderful staff I have to work with.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment